Hindi Name :
Last Updated :
3rd May, 2014
Gajapathi Maharaj DIBYASINGHA DEB IV, Maharaja of Puri, and Senior representative of the ancient Kings of Orissa since 1970. Born about 1954, educated at Rajkumar College, Raipur; St. Stephen's College, Delhi (History Honours); University of Delhi, Delhi (Law Degree) and North Western University of Chicago (LL.M.); Chairman, Jagannath, Bana Prakalp, Government of Orissa and Jagannath Temple Trust; married 1978, Maharani Leelavati/Lilabati Pattamahadei from Jammu, born 1956, and has issue, four daughters.
- Maharajkumari Divyajyoti Devi, educated at Mayo College, Ajmer (Postgraduate in Psychology); briefly worked as a teacher at a public school in Bhubaneswar; married 6th/9th March 2007, Yuvaraj Maharajkumar Riddhiraj Singh, only son of HH Maharana Sri Mahipendra Singhji, Maharana Saheb of Danta, and his wife, HH Maharani Chandra Kumari.
- Maharajkumari Devyani Devi, educated at Mayo College, Ajmer (Graduate)
- Maharajkumari Devika Devi, educated at Mayo College, Ajmer (Graduate)
- Maharajkumari Devesi Devi, presently attending public school in Bhubaneshwar.
Predecessor Kingdom of Orissa was founded around 915, and continued to 1568, when it was annexed by the Bengal Kingdom. The Raja of Khurda was styled as King of Orissa and his line continued as Rajas of Khurda till 1808, when the zamindari of Puri was granted to the son of the last Raja.
Predecessors and Genealogy Tree
- Sri Gajapati Raja RAMCHANDRA DEVA III, Raja of Puri 1808/1857 (1817/1856), son of Raja Mukunda Deva II, the last Raja of Khurda, who rebelled against the British authorities in 1808, and the state was abolished, with the zamindari of Puri, being granted to the family for their maintenance.
- Sri Gajapati Raja BIRAKISHORE DEVA II, Raja of Puri 1856/1862
- Sri Gajapati Raja DIBYASINGHA DEVA III, Raja of Puri 1862/1878 (1857/1871), tried for murder, convicted and sentenced to transportation for life.
Sri Gajapati Raja MUKUNDA DEVA III, Raja of Puri 1878/1926, attained his majority in 1897, granted the title of Raja for personal use only on the 29th March 1884, being a representative of the Gangavansa Dynasty of the ancient Kings of Orissa, he adopted 1stly on 2nd March 1916, Jagadananda Deb, younger son of the Zamindar of Bada Khemidi, he adopted 2ndly, 2nd October 1918, Lal Mohini Mohan Deb, third son of Raja Satchidananda Tribhuban Deb of Bamra, married and had adoptive issue. He died 1926.
- (A) Sri Jagannath Jenomi, he succeded as Sri Gajapati Raja Ramchandra Deb IV of Puri (qv)
- (A) Sri Jagadananda Deb, born 1915, died 23rd July 1920.
Sri Gajapati Raja RAMCHANDRA DEB IV, Raja of Puri 1926/1957, born 1899, as Lal Mohini Mohan Deb, third son of Raja Satchidananda Tribhuban Deb of Bamra, he married Rani Chandramani Pattamahadei, and had issue, two sons and one daughter. He died 1957.
- Sri Gajapathi Maharaj Bira Kishore Deb (qv)
- HH Maharani Kasturika Mohini Devi (+), married HH Maharaja Pratap Kesari Deo of Kalahandi, and had issue, two sons and two daughters. She died 1983.
Thatraj Raj Raj Deb B.A., born 8th May 1933, educated at Rajkumar College, Raipur; prior to joining politics he was Captain of the Puri District Football team; he served as Manager, Shri Jaganath Temple 1956/1961; M.L.A. (Orissa) 1961/1967; married Thatrani Purneshwari Devi, daughter of Thakur Saheb Surendra Nath Shah Deo of Gingo Thakurgaon, and had issue, one son and three daughters. He died 17th May 1982. (Srinahar, P.O. - Puri, Dist. - Puri, Orissa, India)
- Yuvrani Mohini Devi [now Rajmata Mohini Devi of Jashpur], married Yuvraj Uppendra Singh Ju Deo of Jashpur, and has issue, two sons and one daughter.
- Rani Rajshree Devi, married Raja Jitamitra Singh Deo of Khariar, and has issue, two sons and one daughter.
Kumar Anang Bhaskar Deb, married Kumari Jaishree Devi of Chhota Udaipur in Gujarat, and has issue, one son and one daughter.
- Kumar Uday Raj Singha Deb, pursuing training to be a Pilot, in Florida, USA.
- Kumari Kriti Devi
Kunwrani Utkala Singh, married on 16th May 1985 to Kunwar Col. Aklesh Kumar Singh, son of Thakur Lt-Col(retd.) Avdesh Kumar Singh, grandson of late Thakur Ramnath Bux Singh of Parsendi, Dist. Sitapur, U.P., and has issue, one son and a daughter.
- Bhanwar Lt. Akshay Kumar Singh, born 6th January 1986, presently serving in Indian Army, got commissioned from Officer Training Academy, Chennai.
- Kumari Akanksha Singh, born 21st December 1993.
Sri Gajapathi Maharaj BIRA KISHORE DEB, Raja of Puri 1957/1970, born 2nd July 1929, educated at Rajkumar College, Raipur where he was Wrestling Champion, All-round Athlete for 1944-45 and 1946 consecutively; he represented Orissa in Sontosh Trophy 1947/1948; entered politics in 1967; M.L.A. (Orissa) 1967/1971; interests and pastimes were Reading, Music and Painting, Riding, Swimming and Football; married Maharani Suryamani Pattamahadei [n�e Rajkumari Snehalata Manjari Devi], born 1935, died 1994, daughter of Raja Kishor Chandra Mardraj Harichandan of Nilgiri, and his second wife, Rani Giriraj Kumari, and had issue, two sons and one daughter. He died 1970.
- Gajapathi Maharaj Dibyasingha Deb IV (qv)
- Pattayet Rani Nayanshree Devi, married Pattayet Bikram Kesari Deo of Kalahandi, and has issue, one son and two daughters.
Thatraj Ranarnab Deb, married Thatrani Soma Devi, daughter of Kumar Jagadananda Singh Deo of Panchkot, and has issue, one son.
- Kumar Deb Raj Deb, an accomplished sportsman in Equesterian sports.
- Sri Gajapathi Maharaj DIBYASINGHA DEB IV (see above)