HH Raj Rajeshwar Maharajdhiraj Maharaja Shri Dr. KARAN SINGH Bahadur Indar Mahindar Sipar-i-Saltanat-i-Inglishia, 5th Maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir since 26th April 1961. (3 Nyaya Marg, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi - 110021, India). Born in Cannes, M.A., Ph.D., Author and Environmentalist, Regent, Sadar-i-Riyasat and Governor of Jammu and Kashmir; educated at Doon School, University of Jammu & Kashmir and University of Delhi, Member of the Fourth Lok Sabha 1967; Union Cabinet Minister of Tourism and Civil Aviation 1967/73; Member of the Fifth Lok Sabha 1971; Union Minister for Health and Family Planning 1973/77; Member of the Sixth Lok Sabha 1977; Union Minister of Education and Culture 1979/80; Member of the Seventh Lok Sabha 1980; Ambassador of India to the United States of America (with Cabinet Status) 1990; Chairman, Auroville Foundation (with Cabinet Status) 1991/96; Elected to Rajya Sabha November 1996 (resigned 12 August 1999); Member of the Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Home Affairs 1996/-; Co-Chairman, Indo-French Forum (with Cabinet Status) 1997/99; Member, Committee on External Affairs 1998/99; Elected to Rajya Sabha January 2000; Founder, International Centre for Science, Culture and Consciousness; President, People's Commission on Environment and Development (India); Chairman of the Virat Hindu Samaj and Temple of Understanding, a global Interfaith organisation; was Chairman of the Central Sanskrit Board and Indian Board of Wildlife; was head of Project Tiger; Vice-Chairman, Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund; was Member of the U.N.E.S.C.O. International Commission on Education for the twenty-first century, the International Steering Committee of the Global Forum of Parliamentarians and Spiritual Leaders of Human Survival and the Club of Rome and Club of Budapest; Trustee of the India International Centre and Green Cross International; was Chancellor of Jammu & Kashmir University and Banaras Hindu University; associated with many cultural and academic institutions and has received several honorary degrees and other awards, including doctorates from the Banaras Hindu University, Aligarh Muslim University and Soka University, Tokyo; took the M.A. degree of Delhi University in Political Science with a first class first in 1957, creating a University record which is still unbroken; Clubs: Member of Willingdon Sports Club, Bombay; Member of the Royal Western India Turf Club, Bombay; Member of the Delhi Gymkhana Club and the India Habitat Centre; Favourite Pastimes and Recreation includes: reading books, Indian classical and folk music, married 5th March 1950 in Bombay, HH Maharani Yasho Rajya Lakshmi Devi, born in Kathmandu, died , daughter of General Maharajkumar Sarada Shumsher Jung Bahadur Rana of Nepal, she was President of the Delhi Society for the Welfare of Mentally Retarded children, President Ladies Club Jammu and Chairperson of Maharaja Ghulab Singh Charitable Trust and a Trustee of Hari-Tara Charitable Trust; and has issue.
- Maharajkumari Dr. Jyotsna Devi, born in Bombay, educated at Lady Sri Ram College (M.A.), and at Delhi University, Department of Philosophy (Ph.D.), married Shri Dhirendra Singh Chauhan from Mainpuri, and has issue.
- Kunwar Visvat Singh
- Kumari Viveka Devi
- Yuvraj Vikramaditya Singh, born in Bombay, Managing Director of Taragarh Palace Hotel, in the Kangra Valley, Himachal Pradesh, married 1987, Yuvrani Chitrangada Scindia, born , daughter of HH Maharaja Scindia Madhavrao III Scindia of Gwalior, and his wife, HH Maharani Madhavi Devi, and has issue.
- Kumari Mriganka Devi
- Mian Martanday Singh
- Maharajkumar Ajatshatru Singh, M.L.A. (Jammu and Kashmir); born in Delhi, married Maharajkumari Ritu Devi [Ria Kapur], daughter of General Shiv Nath, and has issue.
- Kumari Adishree Devi
- Mian Ranjay Singh
The princely state was founded in 1846. The Maharaja maintains a military force of about 8,000 cavalry and infantry and 288 guns (in 1893). Rulers were...
- Maharaja GHULAB SINGH, 1st Maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir 1846/1857, born , son of Mian Kishor Singh, Raja of Jammu, succeeded his father on 4th May 1822, by conquest of Kashmir in 1846, he became the 1st Maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir, married 6 wives, and had issue. He died .
- Mian Udham Singh, died .
- Mian Sohan Singh, died .
- Maharaja Ranbir Singh (qv)
- Mian Chiman Singh
- Mian Hutoo Singh, died .
- Maharaja RANBIR SINGH, 2nd Maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir 1857/1885, born , married 6? wives, including a daughter of Raja Bijay Singh of Siba, and had issue. He died .
- Maj.Gen. HH Maharaja Sir Pratap Singh Sahib Bahadur (by Rani Sibaia) (qv)
- Raja Ram Singh, he was granted the former princely state of Bandralta in jagir, but on his death it reverted to Jammu State, married and had issue. He died spm after 1885.
- Kumari (name unknown), married (as his first wife) in February 1883, HH Raja Saheb Shri Shyam Singh, Raja of Chamba, and had issue.
- Gen. HH Raja Sir Amar Singh, born , K.C.I.E., Commander-in-Chief of Jammu and Kashmir State Army, Vice-President of Kashmir Administrative Council 1891/-, married 6? wives, and had issue. He died .
- Maj.-Gen. HH Raj Rajeshwar Maharajdhiraj Maharaja Shri Sir Hari Singh Bahadur Indar Mahindar Sipar-i-Saltanat-i-Inglishia (qv)
- Kumari (name unknown), married (as his first wife) 1871, Raja Raghunath Singh of Jaswan.
- Kumari (name unknown), married (as his second wife) 1871, Raja Raghunath Singh of Jaswan.
- Maj.Gen. HH Maharaja Sir PRATAP SINGH Sahib Bahadur, 3rd Maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir 1885/1925, born , G.C.S.I. [cr.25.5.1892] , G.C.I.E. [cr.1911] & C.B.E. & LL.D., he was granted the title of Indar Mahindar Bahadur Sipar-i-Saltanat, married 6? wives, and had issue. He died spm on 25th September 1925.
- Maharajkumari (name unknown), married Raja Kedar Chand of Chenani, and had issue.
- Maj.-Gen. HH Raj Rajeshwar Maharajdhiraj Maharaja Shri Sir HARI SINGH Bahadur Indar Mahindar Sipar-i-Saltanat-i-Inglishia, 4th Maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir 1925/1961, born in Jammu, educated at Mayo College, Ajmer; Hon. Commander-in-Chief Kashmir Army, K.C.I.E. [cr.1918], K.C.V.O. [cr.1922], G.C.S.I., G.C.I.E., married 1stly, 1913, a niece of the Maharana of Dharampur and niece of the Thakur Sahib of Rajkot, she died , married 2ndly, 1915, a daughter of HH Raja Saheb Shri Sir Bhuri Singh of Chamba, she died , married 3rdly, 1923, HH Maharani Mohini Kunwari Bai Sahiba, daughter of HH Maharana Sahib Shri Mohandevji Narayandevji of Dharampur, married 4thly, 1928 (divorced 1950), Maharani Tara Devi, born , died , daughter of Raja Beli Chand of Bijapur, and had issue. He died in Bombay.
- HH Raj Rajeshwar Maharajdhiraj Maharaja Shri Dr. Karan Singh Bahadur Indar Mahindar Sipar-i-Saltanat-i-Inglishia (qv)
- HH Raj Rajeshwar Maharajdhiraj Maharaja Shri Dr. KARAN SINGH Bahadur Indar Mahindar Sipar-i-Saltanat-i-Inglishia, 5th Maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir (see above)